Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Rec

I am starting to reinvent my songwriting process. Although I stated that I am 'reinventing' my songwriting process, I am not overhauling it, but rather modifying it heavily. I feel as though it was functional before but not fully fledged, and now it is becoming fully fledged. The core principles were always the same: express the thoughts and feelings I have as effectively as possible. Through this all-encompassing goal, there are tons of factors that contribute to the end goal, song structure, melody, delivery, chordal arrangement, and really too much to go into. Further into this tree of elements, each factor branches into explanations as to what constitutes a good melody, good delivery and so forth (not as if there is one explanation of each, but several theories for each, which every songwriter needs to decide for him/herself intuitively or consciously).

With my supposed newfound sense of understanding, I now have a sense of direction, and probably enough for an LP. The concept of an LP was always intimidating, because bands that release LP's with a few good tracks can be considered good, but are either easily forgotten or listened to often but with the understanding of their immense songwriting flaws (that prevent them from creating consistently good tracks).

I want to release a great LP, that not only demonstrates a distinct style, but consists of genuinely good songs that can be listened to many times with the listener drawing something new out of it every time. I want to release a great LP, and have listeners who can still see potential for growth. Bands that are primarily stylistic are usually respectable and enjoyable to listen to, but don't have enough backbone in their writing. An example, I guess, would be a decently structured essay with a few great sentences, but nothing that sticks to you as a whole. The effectiveness of music, however, seems to be far more subjective and abstract as to what proves effective. But I previously had a feeling as to which elements are most important to utilize in my own songwriting, and I now have which was only multiplied in understanding recently.


No comments: