Sunday, October 24, 2010

Reinvention

I'm undergoing some sort of reinvention with my music. Too much of my previous playing was related to chance and noodling based solely on my intuition, which frequently lead to dead ends and homogeneous sounding instrumentation. An emphasis on the balance between overall song structure, melody, and lyrics needs to be utilized. The creative process between writing an incredibly intricate and interesting song or guitar part is entirely different from writing a comprehensively good song or guitar part. Some of my favorite players utilize intuitive, noodley playing, but their playing would not work contextually with songs that emphasize the balance I seek. My favorite bands, such as Modest Mouse, My Bloody Valentine, and Radiohead all utilize the triad of elements that constitute what I consider to be great songs. Although the players in these bands probably use their intuitive sense to write, it is not as haphazard as the noodling approach, and based off of habitual fingering of the guitar or previously successful compositions that they've written; each part is concise and clearly gets the point across. This is why their music has proved itself by evolving over the course of time-- their playing evolves because it has room to evolve.

If anyone reads this, that's too bad because I'm pretty much talking to myself and without explanation, what I'm saying will seem illogical.

No comments: